1) Tell us a little bit about yourself – including how parenthood is going so far and something we may not know about you.
- I grew up in Cayman and was living in the UK until September 2020 when I returned to Cayman. I’d been doing CrossFit for 9 years now and was looking for a new gym to get back in to training having not been in a gym for about 9 months due to lockdown. Choosing 7 mile was the best decision I made! All of the coaches and member have been so welcoming. During my pregnancy and postpartum coach Mere was amazing and I’m so grateful to have been connected with her. Before the baby I was all about PBs and big lifts and these days I’m more about showing up and feeling good. We’re moving to Jersey for work in January. Will definitely miss my gym family.
2) When you see _____ in a workout, you think, “Yes, I love these!”
- Snatches – love them
3) When you see _____ in a workout, you think, “Oh man…”
- Running/rowing/deadlifting – not for me
4) What have you learned about yourself since joining our 7 Mile family?
- Since joining 7 mile I’ve learned that rings are my weakness haha. I’ve grown a lot especially during pregnancy and beyond. Working out used to be about hitting big numbers and being the fastest. Now I’m more focused on moving my body in a way that is sustainable and feels good. Still love weightlifting, just a different purpose these days.
5) If you could write your own WOD, what would it look like?
- 21-15-9 snatches/overhead squats
6) As we are about to close out 2022, tell us in a few short words, your reflection on this year (might be a tough one I know!)
- 2022 was a tough one. I spent half the year growing a human and the other half learning to become a mom. I’m grateful more than anything. I certainly think gratitude was the motto of 2022 for me.
7) To follow up the last question, do you have any goals/expectations set for 2023?
- In 2023 I’d love to get a bar muscle up (my goal every year since 2015). 2023 will bring a new country, climate and job for us so I’m just hoping to find a gym that is half as good as 7 mile to get some training in. I’d love to continue to grow stronger and build the weights back up safely.
8) Favorite sports hero?
- I don’t have one
9) Anything on your bucket list?
- I’ve always wanted to stomp grapes and make my own wine
10) What is the best part of your day?
- The mornings – always a morning person
11) Gotta ask – favorite Christmas movie?
- I love all of the trashy awful Netflix ones especially a Christmas Prince
12) Favorite music to listen to?
- Not so much of a music person, just happy listening to the radio
13) This year brought you a new baby boy – congratulations! Tell us a little bit about how that has changed your day to day life and how you were able to continue your fitness throughout pregnancy and now, post pregnancy.
- Oh my life is so different with Leo. I used to be a die hard 5:30 am gal but now it’s difficult with the night wakes and especially the breastfeeding/pumping. You’ll often find me now rushing in with some milk I’ve just pumped in the car journey on the way to class. I loved having Mere on my journey with me because crossfit/exercise are so important to me and I really didn’t want to lose that. With Mere I was still able to workout and move up until 48h before the baby and then 3 weeks after I was able to get moving again. Things are different now though, mostly harder. I have definitely tried to change my focus and purpose to moving well and feeling good but it is always hard when I think back to the way I used to be able to move. This is a new season of life and I’m trying my best to embrace it.
14) Would you recommend 7 Mile Strength & Fitness to others and if so, why?
- I would 100% recommend 7 mile. The level method was awesome for getting back into training after the lockdown. The pre/postnatal classes with Mere and her 1-2-1 coaching are second to none. All of the coaches are super encouraging and friendly and the members are always welcoming and fun to work out with.
Congratulations again Anya! We are proud to have you as our December 7 Miler.
Wanda and the 7 Mile Crew 🙂